Type of document: Contract Notice
Country: United Kingdom
1. Title: TECHNOLOGY FOR A MAJOR WAVE DETECTOR PROGRAMME – EXPORTING OPPORTUNITY
2. Awarding Authority: Secretary of State for Business, Innovation & Skills acting on behalf of UK Trade & Investment (UKTI), GB. Web:
3. Contract type: Service contract
4. Description: Opportunity type: Public Sector and Private Sector
Industry: Communications, Electronics & IT Hardware, Metals, Minerals & Materials, Software & Computer Services, Security
An space laboratory is looking for technology for an international project.
The Laser Interferometer Gravitational-wave Observatory (LIGO) project operates 3 Gravitational-Wave (GW) detectors.
These observatories are being upgraded to their advanced configurations called Advanced LIGO.
Business opportunities may arise during all 4 phases of the development of LIGO-India like:
building the facility
building and installing the vacuum system
Several research labs across India are developing new technology for future LIGO detectors. Some of this research may provide opportunities for industrial partnerships at these labs and leverage the innovations into spin-offs. Such opportunities may exist in both nodal institutions as well the associated research labs.
The team has identified technology areas where it wants participation from UK companies with relevant expertise.
You may be able to provide site preparation and construction services or special pre-built structures.
You should have expertise in one of the following technologies:
vacuum hardware like ultra-high vacuum chambers
physical environment monitoring and management like weather stations
lasers, optics and optomechanics like non-linear crystals
high precision machine and material treatment
analog and digital electronics like low noise electronic signal conditioning and filtering circuits
high throughput computing and big data challenges
modern controls, machine learning and neural networks
There is currently a 3 year programme (2017-2020) being funded by the UK’s Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC) through a project on LIGO India
5. CPV Code(s): 72260000, 72265000, 72263000
6. NUTS code(s): UKC, UKD, UKE, UKF, UKG, UKH, UKI, UKJ, UKK, UKL, UKM, UKN
7. Main site or location of works, main place of delivery or main place of performance: India
8. Reference attributed by awarding authority: Not provided.
9. Estimated value of requirement: Value of contract: more than £50m
10. Opportunity closing date 1.4.2019.
11. Address to which they must be sent: To register your interest in the above opportunity please visit:
12. Other information: TKR-2019213-EX-979787